Get ready to win federal grants!
Despite budget cuts, the federal government continues to award billions of dollars in grants each year. Competition for federal dollars was always tough, and now it’s even tougher. To succeed with federal grants, you need to meet the stepped-up challenges and you need to plan ahead—as much as a year before a grant competition is opened.
Get a running start for success. Learn how to position your organization to secure federal awards!
Take advantage of an expert guide
Competing for Federal Grants takes you through the federal grants process step by step—from finding funding opportunities and understanding application guidelines to developing and writing winning proposals. This training helps you build an effective, proactive approach to federal funding and to avoid common mistakes.
During the training, you:
- Use recent grant application guidelines and real funded proposals to examine what works, what doesn’t, and why
- Develop a work-plan for proposal development
- Write key proposal sections
- Review proposals drafted by your peers
- Have your own work reviewed by others
You do all of this with expert guidance. Every one of The Grantsmanship Center’s Competing for Federal Grants trainers is an active and prolific proposal writer who has won millions of dollars in some of the toughest federal competitions. They know what’s happening in the field right now.
Hazard Community & Technical College
Who should take this training?
This training is a good fit for all types of organizations that compete—or plan to compete—in the federal arena: state, county, and local agencies, educational institutions, hospitals, private nonprofit organizations, and even for-profit organizations that are eligible for specific federal funding programs. This fast-paced, intensive training is not recommended for those new to the grant development field. (For those new to the field, start with either Grantsmanship Training Program® or Essential Grant Skills.)
What you learn
- Find federal funding opportunities that match the mission and priorities of your organization
- Scope-out upcoming competitions to get a head start—before the funding guidelines are released
- Interpret application guidelines and decipher what they’re really asking for
- Assess whether it makes sense to enter a particular competition
- Assemble a work-plan for developing a powerful proposal
- Develop an effective, well-documented case for funding
- Assemble proposals that follow guidelines and respond to the funder's requirements
Why this learning lasts
Competing for Federal Grants uses our Listen & Discuss, Do & Review® curriculum, combing presentations, discussions, and practical, hands-on exercises to take you step-by-step through planning a program and developing a grant proposal. You immediately put new knowledge into practice, build powerful skills, and retain what you learn. This curriculum is based on best practices for adult learners where concepts are actually practiced—the information sticks with you.
You’re not alone when class is over
As a graduate of Competing for Federal Grants, you receive 12 months of full membership in The Grantsmanship Center’s Membership Program at no additional cost. This helps you:
- Strengthen a proposal. You have a full year after the training to submit a proposal to one of our trainers for advice on how to improve it.
- Find funders. Receive a full year of access to GrantDomain, our user-friendly, continuously updated database of foundation, corporate, and federal grantmakers. GrantDomain helps you target appropriate funders, while saving aggravation, time, and money.
- Build your own skills or those of your team. After you complete the Competing for Federal Grants training, you or one other person from your organization may attend our 5-day Grantsmanship Training Program® for 50% off the regular tuition fee!
- Enjoy other discounts on publications, consulting services, and more.
- Find the answers you need. Ask The Center! Need help untangling application guidelines or handling tricky situations? Contact us. We're here to help our alumni find answers.
Tuition for the 5-day Competing for Federal Grants training is $1,195. This fee includes everything you need: a binder loaded with information and a flash drive with even more plus follow-up support through The Grantsmanship Center’s Membership Program for 12 months—at no additional cost!
Details and logistics
- Once your payment (or purchase order) is received, we email your confirmation, including directions to the training location plus parking info.
- Dress for comfort.
- If possible, bring a laptop computer and a flash drive (thumb drive).
- If you plan to work on a specific federal grant application, please bring the guidelines and other relevant information.
- Training begins each day at 8:30 am and ends by 5:30 pm on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. On Wednesday, you’ll be working on a project with your team and may choose to stay later. On Friday, the class ends by 1:00 pm.
- Morning and afternoon refreshments are provided. Lunch is on your own--choose a local spot from list provided.
- You receive a complete manual of training materials when you arrive at the training.