LANO is seeking professionals and civic leaders of all ages in the Greater Baton Rouge area who are interested in increasing their knowledge of nonprofit board service.
Community leaders will take part in the 5-session series of workshops devoted to key fundamentals of board service. Each community leader who completes this training will be equipped with the knowledge and tools to be effective and engaged board members.
- 9/8/16- Fund Development
- 9/22/16- Financial Management
- 10/6/16- Code of Conduct & Legal Issues
- 10/20/16- Governance and Board Roles & Responsibilities
- 11/3/16- Change Fund Presentations
- 1/2017- Speed Dating (Optional)
6/1/2016- Applications Open
8/2016- Informational Session
8/22/2016- Applications Close for 2016 LANO Community Leaders
8/24/2016- Selections Announced
9/2016-11/2016- Training Sessions
Class Dates and Time:
5:00 - 8:30 pm
Change Fund: Real Time Fund Development
Due to the generosity of the Huey and Angelina Wilson Foundation and Capital One, participation in the program is free. However, in learning the role of the board and fundraising, LANO has included a philanthropic component called the Change Fund.
This component gives Community Leaders real-time experience in fundraising. Each participant is asked to invest $300, of which at least $150 must be raised rather than donated by the participant. A request for proposals is announced and much like a grants committee, the Community Leaders review and vote on a program and raise $10,000 or more for a program to be the beneficiary of their funds. Not only does the Change Fund raise money for a local nonprofit, Community Leaders practice soliciting donations and gain confidence as fundraisers.
Placement on Nonprofit Boards
At the conclusion of the training program, LANO facilitates matching of Community Leaders to area nonprofit organizations for placement on Boards of Directors or committees.
- Structured engagement on nonprofit organizations for successful matches based on leaders' interests and nonprofit governance needs
- Networking event with the class and area nonprofit Board chairs and Executive Leadership
- Community Leader profiles featured on LANO's website for year-round matching
The application will close on August 22, 2016. The 2016 Community Leaders class will be announced by August 24, 2016.
[APPLY FOR COMMUNITY LEADERS - BATON ROUGE]